Scheduling Studies through DoSC Lab Website
To leave feedback for this new system, please write your comments here
When parents sign up for an online appointment with our lab, they will select a time based on their child or children's age/s. Parents will be able to book appointments based on individual RAs availabilities, therefore we may have multiple participants scheduled at the same time with different RAs. Below are detailed steps for how to confirm their appointment time, find studies to run on their child/children, make sure the parent receives all necessary confirmation and consent documents, and how to assign parents to breakout rooms when there are multiple participants signed up for one time-slot.
Once we receive an email of the parent’s booked appointment detailing the proposed time, DOB, gender of their child or children, and proposed study (if any, parents may also leave this section blank) the RA on the email shift must:
1) Search their DOB in the google drive: This should pop up all study sheets where their DOB is entered and give us an idea of what studies they have done. Please also reference this google sheet to be reminded of the study age ranges here.
*Search the DOB multiple ways to ensure you know the full range of studies the child has participated in.
i.e. If their DOB is 01/01/2018, search that as well as 1/1/2018.
2) If they are not eligible for any more current studies, send them an email letting them know we must decline their booking and that they will be eligible for other studies in the future (see "Follow-Up" draft templates in Gmail).
3) If they are eligible for more studies, create a 1-hour calendar event using the "DoSC Participant Calendar" google calendar and write in the calendar event the study or studies they are eligible for. Then invite the RAs on shift during that time to the google calendar event. All RAs invited to the appointment should be prepared to run a study with the participant during that time period if a child wants to do more than one study. Please fill out the google calendar event using this template, referencing the information in the booking email, and be sure to do this for each individual participant if there are more than one signed up at a time:
List Eligible Studies: (either list eligible studies or
make sure they are eligible for any studies they
have requested to participate in)
Date + Initials + Updates
(e.g. 5/17 LS: Confirmation and DocuSigns sent)
*Once this is complete, the Lab Manager will then
assign RAs to run a specific study or studies.
*If there is more than one participant scheduled at a
time, list all parent names and children ages (e.g.
Hannah Montana (5 year old), Kelly Clarkson (6
year old), Olivia Rodrigo (10 year old)) in the event
title + be sure to also put every parents information
in the event description (you can copy + paste from
the Wix booking email)
4) Send them a generic confirmation email and required DocuSigns (consent and demo), RAs added to the google calendar will be responsible for sending any study-specific information (e.g. parental measure)
5) Make sure to update the google calendar whenever you: Send a confirmation email and DocuSigns, send a reminder email (the day before or the Friday before if studies are scheduled for Monday), send a Thank You email and update the compensation sheet, or send a Follow-Up Missed Study email.
6) When sending a Thank-You email, list the remaining eligible studies a child can still participate in or state that they have completed all studies for which they are eligible at this time.
Assigning Breakout Rooms:
1. All RAs running studies at the designated time should join the zoom link at least 10 minutes before the appointment time
2. The waiting room should be automatically enabled but make sure it is enabled once you join by clicking on the 'security' button on the bottom left of the zoom screen and selecting 'enable waiting room'
3. Create breakout rooms labeled with the name of the RA running the primary study (e.g. if there are 3 participants being run with 3 different RAs, create 3 separate breakout rooms labeled "Sarah", "Jessica", and "Will")
4. Admit each participant to the zoom call one by one, after adding one participant to the zoom call you should nicely let them know that they will now be added to a breakout room to begin their study game, and once one participant has joined the breakout room, you should then go on to admit the next participant, and so on. Be sure not to admit more than one participant at a time!
5. Begin the call by letting the parent know you have X amount of games to play with their child and that they can complete as many or as few as they would like to.
General scheduling and running studies reminders:
1. Always make sure the consent form is signed (and signed for the correct child) prior to running the study.
2. If the study you are running needs a demographics form signed, be sure to remind the parent if they have not filled it out (however we cannot require them to complete it, we can only request that they do so)
3. Immediately upload the video and consent forms to the server after finishing the appointment.
4. If a parent does not consent to video recording, you can ask the child to turn off their video so we can record the study without their face in it.
1. Zoom link for studies (you should now join with your personal UCI email address and make sure to record on your computer, not the cloud):
Meeting ID: 960 3311 4901